Feb 2, 2012
Blogging has much in common with fishing as sometimes you may catch nothing and sometimes everything. Much depends on luck but there are some common features to the successful blogs and as well as those that may kill your blogging and today we’ll discuss them.
Here is the list of 12 things which may do a big harm to your blog and which you shouldn’t follow but ignore them. So, they are:
1)Creating confusing, cute, clever or just bad headlines is the first step to kill your blog. But your aim is to catch readers’ attention and make them read your post further and as your headline appears at the top of the post, in search engine page results, in feed readers and in subject lines, you should pay attention to headlines and make them unusual, useful,and urgent .
2) Not linking to your old posts. But each your published posts is your valuable job which you shouldn’t forget and you may give new life to them, making link to them.
3) Not linking to other bloggers. There are some valuable benefits of linking out to other bloggers: you may join others in conversation where you may hear different opinions, learn something new and of course, build long-lasting relations; you give the credit where the credit is due as if you write something based on other blogger’s idea, you should link to that blogger; and it influences much your search rankings.
4) Not filling out your page title and description fields. It doesn’t let your post ranking. But if you use keywords, it will show what the page is all about.
5)Using clunky URLs which make people difficult read and search engines index your posts. But if you want good results of your post in the SEO, use recognizable words and keywords in your URL.
6) Copying other bloggers. It may not only kill your posts but spoil your reputation for ever. As successful blogger you should be creative, have many ideas and avoid plagiarising other bloggers.
7) Posting less than once a month. Publishing one post a month has the same effect as not blogging at all. Keep in mind, the more frequently you publish posts, the more traffic you’ll get.
Writing big blocks of the text. Escape it. Your successful post should contain of short paragraphs, sentences and simple words.
9) No on-line presence on social media platforms. But it is rather unreasonable not to use social media to promote your content.
10) Not inviting your audience to comment. A post without comments has uncompleted, empty look and comments are the evidence of value of your blog to readers, it is like social proof in action. So don’t be afraid to encourage your readers to leave comments.
11) Posting about uninteresting, not useful topic. You should write only about what your audience cares about.
12) Giving up blogging. It is really hard work which requires your efforts, time and wish. Of course, you may have some commitments that may distract you from blogging but if you are not sure and don’t want to achieve your goals, why have you started in the first place?